Monday, February 23, 2009

I Remember...Random Things...

I remember coming to Shanghai, site unseen and being driven to Kunshan in a 'Fred Flintstone'-like car; traveling down small country roads in between emerald-colored rice fields. The car's name was Homer.

I remember starting a near riot at the Kunshan #1 Department Store when M, C and I stopped on the steps of the store to finish our ice cream. So intent was I on helping M & C, I didn't realize how many people had stopped to stare. Police stared sounding their whistles, I got scared, the crowd disbursed to reveal three foreigners eating ice cream - a rare site in Kunshan.

I remember having a wonderful adventure the first time I ventured out by bicycle on my own in Kunshan.

I remember my first bicycle ride in Kunshan caused two taxis to collide as the drivers rubber-necked to see the foreigner riding down the bike lane.
I remember when one of my English students told me his English name was Hippo. When I asked him why he chose that name, he explained a hippo was strong and swift. He admired those traits. I was completely prepared to tell him to change his name but when he told me his careful and thoughtful consideration; I didn't have the heart. I advised him to be proud. Of course, he already was.

I remember telling M & C that tofu was Chinese hotdogs so they would eat it.

I remember having our ayi make fishhead soup every day so M & C could drink it. They loved it until one day when they saw the fishhead swimming in the soup. From then on, they wouldn't even have a taste.

I remember getting foot massages from Catholic nuns in Kunshan.

No comments:

Post a Comment