Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Cups and the Back

Yesterday, I went to the local massage place, KungJun Massage. I needed a foot massage - I was convinced that a massage would balance my qi and help me get over my debilitating and exhasting jet lag. My massage therapist, #20, started massaging my feet and old me my circulation was poor and I have cold wind in my body. I tried to explain that earlier in the week I sat on a plane for almost 14 hours over the Pacific Ocean. #20 merely looked at me and calmly said - you need ba guan (cupping). Cupping refers to an ancient Chinese practice in which a cup is applied to the skin and the pressure in the cup is reduced (by using change in heat or by suctioning out air), so that the skin and superficial muscle layer is drawn into and held in the cup. Its supposed to draw out cold wind and break up congestion along meridian lines and acupuncture/acupressure points. What it does is create hickey-like circles all over my back but I have to admit - I feel better. I still have jet lag but feel like I am more balanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment